‘Wages’ has been defined as:
- All remuneration paid or payable in cash to an employee, if the terms of the contract of employment, express or implied, was fulfilled.
- And includes any payment to an employee in respect of any period of authorised leave, lockout, strike which is not illegal or lay off.
- And other additional remuneration, if any, paid at intervals not exceeding two months.
But does not include
- Any contribution paid by the employer to any pension fund or provident fund, or under ESI Act.
- Any travelling allowance or the value of any travelling concession.
- Any sum paid to the person employed to defray special expenses entitled to him by the nature of his employment or
- Any gratuity payable on discharge.